Credit: Elinor Carucci/Redux, for The New York Times
"[Ina May] Gaskin says that because midwife-assisted home birth is illegal in many states, many women are de facto coerced into surgery or other interventions they don’t need. For Gaskin, choice in birth remains a realm of reproductive freedom that mainstream feminism, until recently, has foolishly ignored; women should seek not just the freedom to decide whether or not to have a baby but also how to have it. Here, Gaskin assists Jane Montanaro during labor, March 27."
- See the entire New York Times slide show here.
- Read the related New York Times article "Mommy Wars: The Prequel" here.
- Learn about the state of reproductive freedom birth options across the U.S. here.
- Join the movement today and help support efforts in your state here.
- Appreciate the amazing Ina May Gaskin even more here.