What is the work of The Big Push for Midwives?
We provide vital “labor” support to the courageous mothers and midwives nationwide, who sacrifice so much in pushing forward the national movement for out-of-hospital maternity care and birth options.
- We help individuals and coalitions to expand the strength and reach of their shared message, as well as many other critically needed services.
- We provide public policy and public education experience, highlighting strategies and best practices that have worked, and discussing tactics to avoid that have proven ineffective.
- We empower states to educate more efficiently and effectively for CPM regulation.
- We help the brave people of the PushStates, who are incredibly hard-working and dedicated volunteer advocates. They give the enormous gifts of their personal resources today so their children and grandchildren will have the freedom to select legal Certified Professional Midwives tomorrow.
Why is this work important now?
- Certified Professional Midwives (CPMs) provide affordable, quality, community-based care that reduces costly, preventable interventions.
- The United States can no longer afford a system that produces inferior results at premium costs. The nation needs safe and less-costly maternity care now.
- Advocates from participating "PushStates" are pooling their collective resources and experience, to coordinate and optimize advocacy efforts.
- More and more "PushStates" are building winning, state-level education campaigns towards successful regulation and licensure of Certified Professional Midwives (CPMs) in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and Guam.
- Those mothers and families who are pushing for midwives envision a new model of US maternity care built on expanding access to out-of-hospital maternity care and CPMs, who provide affordable, quality, community-based care that is proven to reduce costly and preventable interventions as well as the rate of low-birth weight and premature births.
Do you like this page?